CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

We Didn't Start the Fire Challenge 2010

I am hosting a new challenge this year! This is my first time hosting a challenge, so please don’t hesitate to contact me if you see any problems or want to make suggestions!

The “We Didn’t Start the Fire” challenge runs from January 1, 2010 to December 31, 2010.

Do you know Billy Joel’s song “We Didn’t Start the Fire?” The song has plenty of historical and pop culture references, which offer us book junkies plenty of opportunities for reading material! I like 80s music, especially this song, but I don’t know anything about some of the things in the song. The goal of this challenge is for you to learn about some of the many topics mentioned in the song.

I want this challenge to be flexible for you, so all I want you to do is pick a level of commitment and stick to it! You don’t need to list your books beforehand or write a certain amount of reviews. Overlaps with other challenges are absolutely fine!

This site has the lyrics to the song as well as a video with pictures of what each thing in the song is as well as a link to a site for each topic for more detail.

http://www.teacheroz.com/fire.htm

Here are the levels:

FICTION

Bronze Fiction: Read 5 books specifically mentioned in the song or a book by an author specifically mentioned. Or, read a work of fiction about something else mentioned in the song.

Silver Fiction: Read 8 books within the same criteria mentioned above.

Gold Fiction: Read 10 books within the same criteria mentioned above.

NONFICTION

Bronze Nonfiction: Read 5 nonfiction books about any topic in the song.

Silver Nonfiction: Read 8 nonfiction books about any topic in the song.

Gold Nonfiction: Read 10 nonfiction books about any topic in the song.

COMBO

Bronze Combo: Read any combination of 5 fiction or nonfiction books related to the song.

Silver Combo: Read any combination of 8 fiction or nonfiction books related to the song.

Gold Combo: Read any combination of 10 fiction or nonfiction books related to the song.

Sign up by commenting on this post.

I will put up another post for you to link to your reviews in January.


Feel free to use the graphic at the beginning of the post! Good luck and have a blast!



13 comments:

Nosilas said...

Hey-o, signing up here! I've never heard the song, so this challenge will expand my reading and music horizons, I guess.
http://thebookiemonster.blogspot.com/2009/12/2010-we-didnt-start-fire-challenge.html

A Bookshelf Monstrosity said...

What an interesting challenge idea! I'll probably sign up for this one. (Found you on A Novel Challenge blog).

Unknown said...

This looks totally fun. Please count me in.

Kelly Jelley said...

Wow I love this song & LOVE the video even more. My mom used to listen to this song all the time when I was a kid.

This is a cool challenge I'm off to Amazon right now to go look for some good fiction to read!

Becca said...

Fun idea! I'm game! Here is my challenge post!

Grilsgood said...

I sure thought i did already, I want in

Sarah said...

here is the link to the post to post your review links on! this is also linked in the sidebar of my blog. http://bookwormsarah.blogspot.com/2009/12/we-didnt-start-fire-challenge-2010-post.html

Book Dragon said...

Going to give this one a try. My post is here

margaret said...

Hi! Hope it's not too late to join!!! My post about the challenge is here

Sarah said...

It's not too late! For the record, anyone can join at any time just as long as they can finish the challenge :)

Anonymous said...

I'm in! Very excited about this challenge!

My post is here.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I couldn't resist this one. I'm going to aim for the Bronze Combo, but not sure how much I'll get done.

What a clever idea for a challenge :-)

Bibliobabe said...

I posted a page with ALL current reading challenges. Let me know if you want me to add any other information about yours. I hope it brings even more readers to your We Didn't Start the Fire Challenge!
Reading Challenges.

Rachelle (Bibliobabe)