CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I need a plan!

I haven't read any books for fun. I need a plan so I'll actually read!

So, instead of paying attention in my first year seminar class, a class I shouldn't have to take, I brainstormed. Here's what I came up with:

Read one book per month. This must be a very high-quality book that isn't some obscure title. Books I have read in the past that would fit into this category would be books like East of Eden, The Poisonwood Bible, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Memoirs of a Geisha, and more recently- A Prayer For Owen Meany.

I want to read a book that is worth my time. I want this book to have depth and really great characters or have a really fast plot like My Sister's Keeper or The Kitchen god's Wife.

So this is where all of you come in. Can you suggest any really great books for me to read? I will look up every book that is suggested and find out things about it so see if it is something I may want to read. I am so excited for this! I just fished John Irving's A Prayer For Owen Meany for my English class. I wasn't expecting anything from this book, but it was amazing!! Definitely, I should think about reviewing it on here! Wow...it was really really really good!

So, know of any books with lots of depth, motifs and great themes? Know of any with a page-turning plot? I'll be checking to see if I have any comments on this post probably a little too frequently!

3 comments:

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) said...

I thought The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon was a really great book. That's the one that's popping off my shelf at the moment anyway :)

Ronnica said...

Check out Special Topics of Calamity Physics. It has the feel of a page-turner, but it so much more. Read it 6 months ago and still think about it all the time!

Also, if you haven't read The Hunger Games, it's a must read. Couldn't put it down, but I love the message behind the text!

Michele said...

Gosh, anything by Edith Wharton!