CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Booking Through Thursday

The opposite of last week’s question: “What’s the best ‘worst’ book you’ve ever read — the one you like despite some negative reviews or features?”

A lot of people have negative reactions to Shakespeare, especially my classmates. I find that while many of my classmated moan and groan when the teacher mentions anything involving the man with the large forehead, I don't mind.

Shakespeare is great in moderation. I definitely wouldn't want to take a whole course on it! The best way to study Shakespeare is to experience it in many different formats.

Here's my preferred method:
1. Read a summary of the scene or act you will be reading next. Sparknotes is usually my choice. This lets you understand what you are reading.
2. Read the section in its Elizabethan gibber gabber. Focus on trying to gain an overall understanding of what you read, rather than searching for symbolism and stuff.
3. Watch the movie while following along in the book AND/OR read the "No Fear Shakespeare" Version. This time, try to look for sumbols and themes that may be discussed on a test if you are reading it for school.

I've read four Shakespeare plays and really liked two of them: Hamlet and Romeo and Julliet. I really didn't like Julius Caesar and Othello was okay.

I think the people that don't like Shakespeare didn't give it a fair chance and decided to rush through it. You need to take your time and make sure you have an understanding of what you are reading!

3 comments:

Jess said...

I read Julius Caesar in high school and I have to agree and say it is not my favorite.

http://barneysbookblog.blogspot.com/2009/03/booking-through-thursday_26.html

Ronnica said...

I like Shakespeare, but not to read. I greatly enjoy watching movies/productions of Shakespeare though. That said, if you haven't watched Kenneth Brannaugh's version of Hamlet (though you probably have), you must!

Blodeuedd said...

I haven't read Shakesparea, but I always find good quotes in his books. And yeah people may not care for them in one them cos they are so different, the language