CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Franny and Zooey

Ugh.

What a terrible, boring, wonderful little book.

I loved The Catcher in the Rye. Lots of people hate it. I can understand why now. Franny and Zooey is written just like it and is about whiny teenagers.

It got on my nerves.

However, instead of feeling that the characters were scum, I felt sorry for them. How Salinger italicized certain things made them seem even more stupid, but I still felt sorry for them because they were so stupid.

It shocked me how much of the book takes place in the bathroom! More than a quarter of it!

Basically, the plot of the book is that Franny's brother Zooey gives her a much-needed reality check. The reason I said the book was wonderful was because some of the things he said to her hit home. The most interesting thing happen at the beginning and end of the book. The rest is pretty dull.

This book is for anyone who thinks rituals mean being considered a religious person or for the person who thinks everyone is below them.

Due to how slow of a read it is, I had to give it a lower rating.

3 1/2 / 5

Next up:
I don't know. Either Frankenstein, re-reading Anne of Green Gables, 1984, or The Book Thief.

2 comments:

Jeane said...

Loved Catcher in the Rye! I couldn't even finish Franny and Zooey, and hardly remember a thing about it now.

Unknown said...

Hmm.. I own this book and have still not read it because I've heard quite a lot of negative things about it, I really don't like wasting my time on books that I won't like, but maybe one day I'll give it a shot who knows I might actually like it, I did really enjoy The Catcher in the Rye, I hope this one will be at least worth reading. :D