CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Read-a-Thon Resolutions


I thought I'd put up my own guidelines for the Read-a-Thon. I'm not reading for 24 hours because I'm still a teenager and will probably have to be pulled away from my reading to do the dishes, entertain my little sister, or go places with my family.
My parents want to go hiking this weekend. Please don't let it be Saturday! This leads me to resolution #1.
If I am unable to participate in Saturday, October 18, I will have my own personal read-a-thon at a later date, as soon as possible (with the same resolutions).
I am really excited! I ordered books from the library as soon as I signed up. Then, once I got them, I realized I hadn't ordered ant to read until then. Instead of one trip to the library every two weeks, I've had 2 just in the past week, and hopefully another to pick up my last remaining book. Please, oh, please let it come in on time!
The books in my reading pile are:
Best Short Stories/Les Meilleurs Contes: A Dual Language Book by Guy de Maupassant. (I read that a mini challenge last year was to read in aother language. I just want to be prepared! Plus, If I get tired of reading, reading it's hard for me to read in French, so it will feel more like an extra credit assignment!)
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway (My first Hemingway other than a short lived attempt to read one of his short stories.)
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (I resolve to finish this book at all costs this weekend. This is the third time I have checked this book out of the library and I still haven't read it yet!)
A Lost Lady by Willa Cather (I read O Pioneers for a school project and I liked it. I wanted to give 'ole Willa another go.)
Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll (I can't bear to take this book out of the house. It's a nice clothbound book from a set of children's classics that belonged to my mom. I'm still wondering if this is two seperate books, though.
Girl, 13 (If it comes in time from the library!)
It's definitely not as many books as everyone else! I guess because I'm the one of the only ones that can't go hibernate with a book all day and have nobody get angry :P
But,
I will blog 13 hours, regardless of if I post it on time or if I read at all that hour.
I will wake up when the read-a-thon starts and read for an hour in bed before doing anything! (There! I've already got one hour under my belt!)
I will finish 2 books and/or 300 pages.
I will time how much I read/blog.
I will not watch Gilmore Girls during the read-a-thon. (Seriously. I've been watching 2-3 episodes daily for a few days now. I have way too much time on my hands.)
I will participate in at least 3 mini challenges.
The number of comments I get from cheerleaders will be the minimum number of blogs I will look at that hour. (I can let them cumulate through hours if I want to spend a whole hour reading then a whole hour blogging ot something like that.)
If I read three books (not counting my short stories book) during the read-a-thon, I will allow myself to read chick lit for the rest of the month with no guilt. I am two books away from beating my highest number of books read in one month.

5 comments:

Michele said...

I love the Gilmore Girl comment, ha ha ha. :)

Ana S. said...

Hi! I'm one of the read-a-thon reminders, but I can see from this post that you haven't forgotten :P I hope you do manage to participate and have lots of fun reading!

Dewey said...

Ha ha, you are one smart cookie, because that challenge to read in another language IS happening again this time!

Debi said...

I think you forgot one very important resolution...HAVE FUN!!!

Sarah said...

well that's a given!