CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Schiesshaus Luck by Pierre Berg



You may be thinking, "Yet another surviving the Holocaust memoir!"


However, I found this to be probably the best Holocaust Lit. I've ever read. Seriously, couldn't Oprah have waited to use this book for her book club instead of Elie Wiesel's Night?




In my time in the public school system, I have had my fair share of Holocaust lessons, books, and movies. I am fascinated by this horrific time, but after a while, each account of the Holocaust gets more and more stale.


Schiesshaus luck gave me a fresh perspective on the Holocaust, focusing mostly on the fact that Pierre survived because he was lucky. I found that many of his actions were very smart. His knowledge of several languages saved his life many times.



Pierre spent time in several consentration camps. He wasn't Jewish. This book is unique in that sense because most of Holocaust literature focuses on the Jews' side of the story. We sometimes forget that the Nazis persecuted homosexuals, gypsies, and people they just didn't like in the same way.


If you think you've heard everything you need to know about the Holocaust, you need to read this book. It will open your eyes yet again to the horros these people faced.


I give it an A.

1 comments:

Toni said...

Wow.. what a great review. I want to add this to my list. Thank you